Monday, August 1, 2011

A Profitable Trade

I bought a collection of 100+ mostly British Commonwealth coins for $5 at a flea market this weekend.  Because of the extreme temperatures we've been getting, attendance was down and sellers were looking to make a deal wherever they could. Buyers were too tired to haggle. I didn't even look at the coins closely - a superficial glance to make sure it wasn't absolute junk.  A closer examination of dates and cataloging would have to wait until I'm back home in the AC.

So, much later, armed with an iced tea and my trusty loupe I'm quickly finding several very nice coins, a 1935 50 Reichpfennig, 1926 Straits Settlements Cent, 1658 French Liard, it's looking like a great buy already. Of course there is a lot of junk in there too, but already it's clear I'm going to get my $5 back several times over. Then I find the star of the show.......

A 1947 Canada 5 Cent in pretty good condition, somewhere between a VF and EF, with the much prized "dot" after the seven. It's worth around $60 conservatively.

As coin collectors "war stories" go I reckon mine is pretty modest but I'm pleased. I have a dozen or so highly collectable coins with a combined value well in excess of $150 plus about 20 fillers.

No comments:

Post a Comment